Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Creativity and New Media


This is a photo of the house i created in the video game called Minecraft. This house was created by many blocks that are of different materials. I constructed this house with materials such as glass, wood, and cobblestone. In order to get these resources I had to mine them then craft them into usable material. For example for the parts of the house that is made of wood, I had to cut trees to get raw wood, then craft them into wooden planks so that they can be used to build the house.

In this game you are free to trade and share resources with other users in the game. You also interact with the other users in real time. In order to build this house I had to watch video tutorials on YouTube to learn, where I needed to go for the materials, how much I needed, and what combination of materials gave me what I needed to construct my house. Even though YouTube helped me learn the basic concept of building the house I had to use my own creativity to design the house and make it the way i wanted it to be. This is just one example of how new media such as Minecraft can foster creativity in it's users by allowing them the freedom to build anything their imagination can come up with and share it with other users in this virtual world.

1 comment:

  1. THAT IS AN AWESOME HOME! I've fiddled with minecraft and in no way, shape, or form have I been able to create something that complex. It definitely took some time and effort into making.

    Hats off to you and I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying the game!

    ReplyDelete